Ask yourself this – have you ever felt:
- that there has been enormous pressure in your family and in society for you to conform?
- and that many people operate from a kind of mindless herd mentality?
Do you often compare yourself to others and then put yourself down because you just don’t make it? Or feel that your uniqueness is somehow a kind of big mistake?
The truth is:
- that the most important thing you can do in this life is to know yourself and to be yourself
- that your real task is to discover and know that in some way you are an amazing genius
- to know there is nothing wrong with you
- and that you are a gift that can change the world
You know, the US armed forces has been doing literacy tests on potential inductees for a long time. Basically all that has been needed to classify a soldier as literate was a 4th grade reading proficiency. If the candidate could read, write, count, speak and think clearly they passed.
The following information comes from the work of John Taylor Gatto, winner of the New York State “State Teacher of the Year” award for 1991. He has written a number of profoundly critical books on our educational system including:
- Weapons of Mass Instruction: A Schoolteacher’s Journey through the Dark World of Compulsory Schooling (2008)
- Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling (1992)
In 1930 the literacy rate of US soldiers was 98%.
By the start of World War II in 1940 it was 96%.
By the Korean war in 1950 it was 81%.
By 1973 at the end of the Vietnam war, it was down to 73%.
All of this decrease in literacy in young men and women was dutifully recorded, despite the fact that each group:
- had spent progressively more years in school
- with more professionally trained teachers
- and had been provided more scientifically selected textbooks than the preceding group.
In 1940 in the US as a whole, the illiteracy rate was 4% for whites and 20% for blacks. By 2000, the Adult Literacy Survey and the National Assessment of Educational Progress reported an astounding 17% illiteracy rate for whites (more than quadrupling) and even more astonishing 40% for blacks (a doubling).
Yet the money spent on schooling in real terms had grown 350%.
How did the school system become so pathetically incompetent?
One of the most influential American writers of the first half of the 20th century, Henry Mencken, wrote that:
In 1909 former US president Woodrow Wilson stated:
The modern schools we have now are a result of a “revolution” engineered between 1905 and 1930.This revolution was begun by a small group of industrialists and financiers who subsidized universities and research with the aim of molding education to serve business and the state.
For leading industrialists such as Andrew Carnegie and John Rockefeller, public schooling was to be engineered to serve a planned economy and social order and it was to be modelled on the Prussian system of public education. The Prussian system of the 1800′s was to train only a leadership class while other students would be taught to fit in their place.
The result, funded by the captains of industry, was set up to ensure a docile, malleable workforce to meet the demands of corporate capitalism where the highest value was not on brains or talent, just obedience.
This is essentially the school system we have inherited today where students are taught to excel at memorizing and conforming, and where creative, independent thinking is stifled because the basic training is on getting the one “right” answer. This is an oversimplification but it is, in essence, true.
So, most students emerge as:
- dependant on and subordinate to, authority
- and in many ways are incapable of thinking for themselves.
It is prime training for permanent under classes, people who are deprived of discovering their own special genius.
There is a way out:
- Begin by recognizing and knowing that you are TOTALLY UNIQUE.
- Know that in SOME way you really do have a gift called GENIUS and if you don’t know this already it is your job to discover this.
- DECIDE you no longer will accept being a non entity in the world.
- AWAKEN your sleeping giant and BECOME ALIVE!
as for your kids, home school them.
May there be peace in our hearts.
May there be peace for all humanity.
May there be perfect peace on earth.
I appreciate your comments and feedback.