The Dominance Of The Heart
Studies at the HeartMath Institute have shown that the heart functions as a type of brain. It has its own independent nervous system and even has left and right hemispheres.
The heart’s electromagnetic field is by far the most powerful produced by the body. Five thousand times (that is 5,000!) greater in strength than that produced by the brain, the heart’s field not only permeates every cell in the body but also radiates outside of us and can be measured up to 10 feet away. When we focus our attention on our hearts the brain becomes entrained to the heart and will follow its lead. In other words the brain becomes subservient to the heart’s direction.
It is now known that intelligence and intuition are heightened when we learn to listen more deeply to our own heart. Heart intelligence provides an instinctive, direct knowingness and when it is engaged our awareness is expanded beyond linear, logical thinking. As a result, our perspective becomes more flexible, creative and comprehensive.
When we say we “know in our heart” we have it right on, baby! Ultimately the head may ”know” but the heart understands.
Chief Ochwiay Biano, an elder of the Taos Pueblo, once explained to Carl Jung, “The white man thinks with his head, but an Indian thinks with his heart.”
There is no doubt about it. Our society has been ruled by logical brain thinking for a long, long time.
Factual, analytical, compartmentalized thought has pervaded and controlled all. By the time most people finish high school the intuitive and feeling intelligence is on life support. We have been seriously out of balance and out of tune.
There are some real problems with a brain that is not entrained to the heart.
- Logical brain thinkers are easy to regiment. They obey and bow to outside authority. They accept hierarchy. Heart intelligence on the other hand is self authoritative.
- Logical brain thinkers will put their noses to the grindstone and slave their entire lives away in factories and offices.
- They can be goaded to fight wars for glory and empire or just because they’re used to marching in lockstep. They can commit inhumanities to “enemies” or even fellow citizens because they were just following orders and going by the book.
- Historically they have been very disrespectful to Mother Nature.
- Logical brain thinkers like to be in control.
This is slavery. It is inhuman and it isn’t a pretty picture.
Is this not a good reason to start developing our relationship with the heart intelligence?
A Short Meditation To Balance The Brain Hemispheres & Project From The Heart *
Sit in a comfortable position with the spine straight. Place the palms together at the centre of the chest. Pull the thumbs back so they are pressed against the chest. This position is called prayer pose. Just bringing the palms together like this balances the left and right hemispheres of the brain.
Now inhale a long slow deep breath deep down into the lungs so that the navel extends out. Then exhale slowly and deeply so the navel goes back toward the spine. Continue long slow deep breaths until you feel more heart centred.
* The above breathing exercise may not be suitable for some health conditions. Please seek the advice of a qualified health care practitioner.
Many of the characteristics of heart intelligence are equivalent to those of the right brain.
I gratefully accept your comments and feedback.
May there be peace in our hearts.
May there be peace for all humanity.
May there be perfect peace on earth.